THE SEARCH BEGINS FOR THE NEXT MASL COMMISSIONER
(February 8, 2021) - Following Friday afternoon’s announcement regarding the resignation of MASL Commissioner Joshua Schaub’s retirement effective June 1, 2021, league owners have formed a committee to begin the search for his replacement. The goal is to have the next commissioner in place by April 15, 2021 which will give Schaub several weeks to work with the new commissioner to ensure a seamless transition.
The committee, led by St. Louis Ambush CEO and owner, and MASL Secretary Shelly Clark, will look to begin interviews in March with hopes to have a decision made by April 1, 2021. The job description and desired qualifications are listed below, as well as where applicants can submit their resume and cover letter.
Commissioner of the Major Arena Soccer League
The Major Arena Soccer League (MASL) is looking for a dynamic leader to manage and grow the league. The MASL has been in operation for over 6 years and currently has 30 teams in markets across North America spanning 3 divisions. The Commissioner of the MASL will be focused on setting the league up for continued success and growth for years to come.
The ideal candidate will want to work for an emerging professional league that has huge growth potential. This person will be a visionary leader with experience setting strategic direction. He/she is not afraid of ambiguity and will want to be instrumental in the success of the league. Additionally, this person will have experience navigating multi-stakeholder situations, is adaptable, is able to make difficult decisions, is able to negotiate complex deals and is able to juggle multiple initiatives concurrently.
The MASL Commissioner’s primary responsibility is to lead and oversee the development of the league. This will include managing the operational and financial performance of the league, promoting the sport through media, managing league defined rules around player contracts and conduct, and driving development of the league as a sustainable entity. This Commissioner position will currently work remotely.
- Responsible for CEO/Commissioner functions of the League including hiring and managing front office personnel
- Set the strategic direction, expansion, and growth for the next phase of the Major Arena Soccer League
- Managing the operational playbook and its enforcement
- Drive league-wide revenue development
- Develop and implement digital strategies for the League
- Manage public relations
- Work collectively with the Board of Directors to execute goals and strategies
- Maintain and grow relationship with Major Arena Soccer League’s second and third divisions (M2, M3)
Essential Skills and Knowledge
- Proven leadership qualities with the ability to work with diverse personalities
- Undergraduate degree and/or Master’s degree preferred with experience in working with leagues
- Deep understanding of business operations with the ability to create short-term and long-term business strategies and goals
- Experience with Corporate Sponsorship initiatives
- Possessing a strategic mindset, capable of being an organized problem solver and solution developer
- Ability to oversee operational and organizational performance
- Ability and personality to enforce MASL minimum standards, standard procedures, and equally apply all league rules
- Strong leadership, organizational, interpersonal, and written communication skills
- Proficiency using MS Office tools
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) would be a plus
- Must be available on a full-time basis with the ability to work nights and weekends
- Availability to travel when needed; ability to travel across borders
- Must be available to start in this role April 15, 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter
How to Apply
Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.