SeaWolves Battle Back to Beat St. Louis in Overtime

by Austin David

Gurson Tips In Winner, Thiago Scores Hat-Trick in Win

St. Louis, MO – Another highly contested affair between St. Louis and Orlando ended in dramatic fashion as Gordy Gurson tipped in the game-winning goal just two minutes into overtime to give the SeaWolves a 7-6 win over the Ambush.

In their past three games, Orlando had been the first team to score in games, but it was St. Louis to get on the board just two minutes into the game to take an early lead. It wasn’t until late in the first quarter that Orlando was able to get on the board when Thiago Freitas fired one in the back of the net to level up the game.

Just a minute after tying the game, the Ambush re-took the lead as the quarter ended with the home team up 2-1. Orlando would strike first in the second, thanks again to Freitas and a patient finish past the keeper Paulo. Two minutes later, Frieitas completed his hat trick with a perfectly weighted ball past the keeper and in, giving the SeaWolves their first lead of the night, one they would keep until halftime.

The entire third quarter and early in the fourth was dominated by St. Louis, who scored three unanswered goals, taking a 5-3 lead at the beginning of the final frame. Orlando would battle back just a minute later, scoring two goals in less than 30 seconds thanks to an Osvaldo Rojas backheel and an Elmo Neto turn and finish.

Just as the rest of the game went, St. Louis would not go quietly into the night, as they took the lead once again just four minutes later. Orlando continued to push forward and eventually tied the game again when Mario Alvarez snuck one under Paulo’s arm on the counter-attack. The score would hold at 6-6 as time expired and the teams headed into a 10-minute overtime period.

Just a minute and a half into the extra frame, Orlando was able to create a turnover and get the ball up to Neto, who struck a one-time shot at the keeper Paulo, who parried it into the path of Gordy Gurson, who knocked it back onto the arm of the goalie. The ball then ricocheted onto the leg of Robert Acosta and into the back of the net, winning the game for the SeaWolves 7-6.

The SeaWolves will play their next game on the road this weekend, playing on Sunday the 24th against the Kansas City Comets. Kickoff for that game is set for 5:05 p.m.