by Jeff Husted

CEDAR RAPIDS, IA (Nov. 18, 2016) – The Cedar Rapids Rampage were staring at a 4-2 deficit and were struggling offensively to put anything together to stave off a potential third straight loss. Just as they had done in their first three games, however, the Rampage remained patient and turned the tables for a 5-4 overtime win over the Milwaukee Wave at the US Cellular Center Friday night.

Patrick Kelly scored the game winner at 5:00 of overtime by redirecting Gordy Gurson’s alley-oop pass from midfield over Wave goalkeeper Rafael Dias. The win improved Cedar Rapids to 2-2 on the season and marked the first time the Rampage have defeated the Wave in four meetings. Milwaukee fell to 1-3 heading into Saturday’s home opener against the Kansas City Comets.

Max Ferdinand started the scoring just 46 seconds into the game and Robert Renaud stole a ball and scored from a bad angle to put Milwaukee up 2-0 at 4:03.

Jonatan Santos, one of five former Wave players suited up for Cedar Rapids, got the Rampage on the board at 13:36, followed by a Joshio Sandoval header goal 58 seconds later to tie the game at 2-2.

In the second quarter, Kelly whiffed on a clearing attempt and Ricardo Sobreira knocked the ball to Ian Bennett who gave Milwaukee a 3-2 lead with a power play goal. After a series of penalties, the game remained 3-2 at halftime.

A Santos penalty near the end of the half carried over into the third quarter and Sean Totsch got credit for a power play goal just 13 seconds into the second half. His searing crossing pass was inadvertently deflected in by Pablo da Silva.

Hometown hero Charlie Bales made his season debut for the Rampage and spent much of the game blasting away from the outside, but at 7:07 of the fourth quarter he put one through on a restart assisted by Santos, ending a 37:33 scoring drought.

Just as they did in the second quarter, the Rampage got back-to-back goals to tie the game. Tony Walls stole the ball at midfield and Gurson got the ball to da Silva, who took an excellent first touch on the ball and punched it past Dias 61 seconds after the Bales goal.

Goalkeeper Brett Petricek and the Rampage defense held Milwaukee scoreless for the final 34:47 of the game.